===========
WARNING - BOB is my alter ego - Bitchy Old Broad.
BOB's adventures are basically rants - some funny - some silly - some stupid - some sad - some just plain bitchy -
depending on your point of view. Also be warned that I may cuss/swear on this blog. If that offends you - don't read it.
I'm a grown-up and I can swear if I want to. It's my blog. Also - these opinions are only my opinions - I could be wrong. ;))
If you haven't already - you may want to read my posts - Meet BOB - and BOB went to Target.
If you prefer not to read rants - STOP READING NOW!!
===========

Thursday, May 19, 2011

BOB went to BORDERS

BORDERS (the book store) recently for bankruptcy.  This came as no surprise to BOB.

The last time BOB went to BORDERS it was to look for a specific book that my little sister (bob - blind old bat) had recommended.  I found several other books by the same author - but not the one I was looking for.  (I hate ending a sentence with a preposition - I was taught not to.  Every nun out there is probably looking for her ruler right about now - the better to rap my knuckles with.  See - I keep doing it!)

Anyway - unable to find the book that I was looking for - I ventured over to the store computer to see if it was "in stock" at another location.

I had just found that the book was NOT "in stock" at any store nearby when a twenty-something female employee noticed me at the computer and asked if she could help me.  (Poor little old white-haired lady - must not have a clue!  Another post for another time!)

Our conversation went something like this -

She -
Can (not May) I help you?

Me -
Yes, you can (not may) order this book for me.

She -
Oh, you can order that online and have it delivered to the store.  We can call you when it comes in.

BOB -
Nooooo - that's your job.  It's your job to order books so that they are on the shelf and we can buy them when we come to the store.  If you want me to order the book then you want me to do your job.  And if I order it online and have it delivered to the store - I may as well order it and have it delivered to my home.  That way I don't have to come to the store at all.  And if everybody does that - you won't have anyone coming to the store - the store will close - and you will lose your job.  How's that?

She thought I was kidding!  I wonder where she's not working now?? 

(And I got the book at Barnes and Noble - off the shelf - in case you're wondering.)

===

I don't think "they" realize that the whole point of a job is to get paid to do/make something for someone else.  If "they" want me to do/make it myself - what do I need "them" for?  And they wonder where the jobs are going!!

And if the store closes -

the employees lose their jobs -

they can't buy stuff - 

the cleaning crew has no store to clean -

the landlord loses a tenant -

the landlord can't make the payments on the building -

the building goes into foreclosure -

empty buildings are everywhere -

no one needs to build buildings - there are too many empty ones already -

contractors have no work -

construction workers have no jobs -

etc. - etc. - etc.

Maybe if "they" start doing something for me - I may even pay "them" to do it - and then -

Hey - looky here - a JOB!



But then again - it's probably just me.

2 comments:

Margie said...

Could it be that is why so many Borders are closing? Can't blame it all on the employees. Someone needs to train them.
The may/can made me laugh. My husband taught English for about a thousand years.

Margie said...

Could that be why so many Borders have been closing? Someone need to train them and have appropriate helpful policies.
The can/may made be laugh. My husband taught English for about a thousand years. Some of it rubbed off on me.

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog - where bitching and whining are definitely allowed!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...