===========
WARNING - BOB is my alter ego - Bitchy Old Broad.
BOB's adventures are basically rants - some funny - some silly - some stupid - some sad - some just plain bitchy -
depending on your point of view. Also be warned that I may cuss/swear on this blog. If that offends you - don't read it.
I'm a grown-up and I can swear if I want to. It's my blog. Also - these opinions are only my opinions - I could be wrong. ;))
If you haven't already - you may want to read my posts - Meet BOB - and BOB went to Target.
If you prefer not to read rants - STOP READING NOW!!
===========

Friday, June 29, 2012

BOB and binding width


BOB prefers a 2-1/4” binding on her quilts -

And likes to sew it on using the edge of her walking foot -

So that the front and back binding width are the same size -

But when she sends it to be quilted -

Her friend/quilter prefers a 2-1/2” binding -

Her friend/quilter does GREAT work -

But she sews the binding on with a 1/4” seam -

Which makes it SKINNY on the front -

And FAT on the back -


And that drives BOB NUTS!

I know - I know -

BOB should stop complaining -

And just do it herself -

But her friend/quilter is so GOOD at the rest of it -

And her friend/quilter insists -

That she does the binding -

The same way that BOB taught her -

Many years ago -

But BOB doubts that -

Very much - ;))



But then again - it’s probably just me.


7 comments:

Katie M. said...

I guess I'm dense this morning - if it's folded over, stitched down on the stitching line... then shouldn't it be the same width front and back? 99% of my quilt binding are completely machine done using monofilament on the back (because I am so NOT a perfectionist).....

Linda said...

hahaha Sometimes old dogs just can't learn new tricks. And after many years old minds just remember their own facts. Not that I'm saying anyone is old!! ;0)

Linda C said...

Do you have to pay her extra for doing something you would prefer she do differently?

I hate it when they trim them too closely and could not get one gal to NOT do it.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Mathematically - a 2-1/2" binding works out to 3/8" on top and back/bottom with 1/4" allowed for the depth of the quilt. I would use my walking foot to get the 3/8" on top. When she uses a 1/4" foot - the top is NARROWER than it should be by an 1/8 of an inch (3/8" -1/8" = 1/4") - and that makes the back WIDER than it should be by an 1/8 of an inch (3/8" + 1/8" = 1/2") - and that looks funny to me - ;)).

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

hahaha - OK - so who's old - her or me? - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Yeah, I pay her to do the binding - like an idiot - ;))

I asked her about it once - and that's when she told me that she did it the way I taught her way back when. I told her that I do it so that the binding is the same width on the front and the back - she ignored me and sent the next one back skinny/fat. Then I "accidentally" sent her binding cut at 2-1/4" - hoping that it would come out more even on the top and bottom - and all she did was complain about how "tight" it was when she was trying to stitch it down. If I could do it myself - I certainly would - but I can't do that much handwork any more - and I like my "gift" quilts to have hand-stitched binding. That might change - I may just have her quilt them - leave them untrimmed - and just send them back to me that way. I can always do the bindings by machine - who's going to care but me? - ;))

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Linda said -
June 30, 2012 - 11:50 AM (2 minutes ago)

ummmm I'm going to say her! haha

and I replied -

Good answer! - Good answer! ;))

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog - where bitching and whining are definitely allowed!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...