===========
WARNING - BOB is my alter ego - Bitchy Old Broad.
BOB's adventures are basically rants - some funny - some silly - some stupid - some sad - some just plain bitchy -
depending on your point of view. Also be warned that I may cuss/swear on this blog. If that offends you - don't read it.
I'm a grown-up and I can swear if I want to. It's my blog. Also - these opinions are only my opinions - I could be wrong. ;))
If you haven't already - you may want to read my posts - Meet BOB - and BOB went to Target.
If you prefer not to read rants - STOP READING NOW!!
===========

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

BOB and the ball

BOB and the ball


The question is - 

If a bat and a ball together cost $1.10 and the bat costs $1.00 more than the ball –
how much does the ball cost?


The answer is - 

Five cents.

The ball costs five cents.
The bat costs one dollar and five cents.
The bat costs one dollar more than the ball.
Together they cost one dollar and ten cents.

That’s OK –

BOB got it wrong, too.

BOB was taught to show your work –

SO she will give you two methods to solve this problem -

METHOD #1 – Algebra – 


BOB LOVES ALGEBRA –
IT’S SO LOGICAL -
BUT IT IS THE LONG WAY –
AND most people HATE Algebra -
So -
BOB won’t use “X” –
Instead - she will just use (BALL) –
Maybe that will make more sense to those of you who are math-challenged.

We want to know the cost of the ball – so that’s - (BALL)

Ball = (BALL)

The BAT costs one dollar more than the ball –

Bat = (BALL + $1.00)

Together they cost ($1.00 + $.10)

So –

Ball + Bat = ($1.00 + $.10)

Substitute for Ball and Bat -
(BALL) + (BALL + $1.00) = ($1.00 + $.10)

Simplify – get rid of the parentheses -
BALL + BALL + $1.00 = $1.00 + $.10

Add the balls together -
2 BALLS + $1.00 = $1.00 + $.10

Get rid of the dollar on each side - 

Leaves us with -
2 BALLS = $.10

So –
1 BALL = $.05


METHOD #2 - Talk it out -
The short way -

Together the ball and bat cost one dollar and ten cents.
If the bat costs one dollar more than the ball –
The dollar belongs to the bat.
That leaves the ten cents.
Except for the dollar - the bat and ball cost the same.
The bat is half of the ten cents – the ball is the other half.
Half of ten cents is five cents.
The ball costs five cents.
The bat costs one dollar and five cents.
Together they cost one dollar and ten cents.


Any problem is easy – if you know the answer.  ;))

2 comments:

Katie M. said...

okay, still don't get it - it's either too early and the coffee hasn't kicked in - or......

Katie M. said...

At one point in time (probably centuries ago), I was really good in math. Now I think because of having used a calculator for 20+ years when I was employed (I still work, just don't get paid for it ;-) ) I'm not as math minded as I used to be. I remember my oldest daughter coming home in Jr. high school with a problem. It gave the answer and the first part of the problem - the kids had to work out the problem and show their work. Me, in my infinite wisdom, showed my daughter how to work it out backwards. No, I don't remember the problem, but I remember the teacher asked her how she figured it out and she honestly told her teacher that I had showed her by doing it backward. The teacher later told me that he couldn't figure it out either - had to look in the teacher's manual to get it.... ummm, makes you wonder why kids are math challenged today???? - oh have another math story, but will save it for another time :-)
As for #2 - nope, don't get it....

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog - where bitching and whining are definitely allowed!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...