===========
WARNING - BOB is my alter ego - Bitchy Old Broad.
BOB's adventures are basically rants - some funny - some silly - some stupid - some sad - some just plain bitchy -
depending on your point of view. Also be warned that I may cuss/swear on this blog. If that offends you - don't read it.
I'm a grown-up and I can swear if I want to. It's my blog. Also - these opinions are only my opinions - I could be wrong. ;))
If you haven't already - you may want to read my posts - Meet BOB - and BOB went to Target.
If you prefer not to read rants - STOP READING NOW!!
===========

Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Widowhood Wednesday - 8/27/14


==========
DISCLAIMER -
This is NOT intended to be professional advice of ANY sort!!
Please talk to your attorney and accountant about your affairs -
Your situation is unique to YOU!!
This is simply some of what I did - and it may or may not be -
What you want/need to do when the time comes - ;))
==========


When my husband died -
He was under “In-Home Hospice Care” -
And “Continuous Care” (24-hour care) -
And that day a Hospice Nurse -
Hospice Case Manager -
And the Hospice Pastor -
All happened to be here with us -

The Hospice Case Manager contacted the Hospice head-honcho Doctor -
To give him the information he needed for the death certificate -
And made the arrangements to shut down the “In-Home Hospice Care” -
And the Hospice Pharmacy service -

The Hospice Pastor volunteered to contact the Funeral Home for me -
But there was no “Funeral Home” to notify -
My husband had wanted to be an organ donor -
But cancer patients aren’t allowed - for obvious reasons -
So he did some research on the internet -
And was able to donate his “Whole Body” to a Medical School for research -
So the Pastor contacted the Medical School per the donor registration card -
And they came within three hours -

The Hospice Nurse was in charge of destroying the meds -
The Pastor and I had to witness the destruction and sign off on it -

I called Family Member #1 -
To let them know -
And told them that I would call again later that evening -
For a longer chat -

Then I called Friend #1 -
She came over -
After a while - the Hospice Manager and Hospice Nurse both left -
And my Friend #1 and the Pastor stayed with me -
Until the Medical School people arrived -

After everyone had left -
I called back Family Member #1 -
For the longer chat -

And then I called Neighbor #1 - across the street -
To let them know -

I had been working on my My Guy post for months -
So I edited that for the last time -
And posted it -

And that was enough for that day - ;))



PLEASE REMEMBER -
This is simply some of what I did -
And it may or may not be what you want or need to do -
When the time comes - ;))




===
HOMEWORK - IMMEDIATE CONTACTS -

Make a list of your DOCTORS -
One of them will probably be the “Attending Physician” -
Who will have to sign off on the death certificate -

Make a list of FUNERAL HOME CHOICES -
For funeral arrangements -
Include the nearest VA cemetery if your husband is a veteran -
And consider donating your “Whole Body” to a local Medical School -

Include name - address - phone numbers - email addresses -
List them in the order in which you want them notified -
And the best way to notify them - phone - email - written note - or in person -

You can start with just the names -
And fill in the rest later - ;))

And while you’re at it -
Make a list of his meds and yours -
You will have to notify your non-Hospice Pharmacy -
To shut down their file(s) -
But you don’t have to do that on the first day - ;))




4 comments:

Linda C said...

I was no where near as organized as you but still most of it managed to get done. I had lists upon lists, double checked. Somehow you get through it. The sleepless hours when you remember something else you should add. I wish I could say it gets a little better.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

I agree - somehow it all gets done - with or without lists - and I'm still remembering something else I should add. Maybe someday it will get a little better - we can only hope - ;))

Katie M. said...

I would like to add a little side note, if you don't mind.... The donation of a body to medical research - be sure the facility guarantees they will accept the body when the time comes. I had everything in place for my mother-in-law, with her creamains to be returned to the family for burial - or so I thought. When I contacted the facility, I was told they would get back to me as to whether or not they could 'accept' the body. When I asked what were they talking about, the asked me, "well, didn't someone explain to you that alternate funeral arrangements needed to be in place?" I was dumbfounded! It was 4 days before they notified me that they would pick up the body from the funeral home....
Also, I did not set up her initial paperwork for medical research donation. My sister-in-law had initially set it up with no creamains to be returned and buried. When my mother-in-law stated that she wanted to be buried next to her youngest daughter, I went about making those changes.....
Kitty, it's nice that you're putting these 'guidelines' out in blog land. I know they will be of help to someone and I want to thank you.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Katie - let me also add that we had similar issues with our FIRST choice of facility. We had registered and received our donor cards - and were told to notify them if anything changed - which we did when he entered "Hospice Care". They failed to call us back THREE times - so we revoked our donation to them and found another facility with much nicer people and NO strings attached.

So - everybody - be SURE to check out what Katie said - you don't want ANY surprises when the time comes!!! Like I said - our Medical School people came within three hours - ;))

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog - where bitching and whining are definitely allowed!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...