===========
WARNING - BOB is my alter ego - Bitchy Old Broad.
BOB's adventures are basically rants - some funny - some silly - some stupid - some sad - some just plain bitchy -
depending on your point of view. Also be warned that I may cuss/swear on this blog. If that offends you - don't read it.
I'm a grown-up and I can swear if I want to. It's my blog. Also - these opinions are only my opinions - I could be wrong. ;))
If you haven't already - you may want to read my posts - Meet BOB - and BOB went to Target.
If you prefer not to read rants - STOP READING NOW!!
===========

Sunday, October 16, 2011

BOB and the Twister block

BOB and the Twister block

The other day BOB received her EQ7 October 2011 Newsletter –
with a link to a tutorial on how to make an easy Twister block –
without the special ruler.

It got her to thinking –

about the TUTORIAL -

Is it just her – or is the EQ7 tutorial wrong?

If you start with a 5” x 5” charm square –

BOB thinks the block will finish at 4” not 4-1/2” square.

You lose the ¼” on each side – we all know that –

BUT –


you also lose ¼” on each side of the cut you make down the MIDDLE of the square -

Right?

To BOB that makes an inch of seam allowance loss –

not half an inch.

about the BLOCK -

Sure looks like a block she made last Halloween -

using the book called “Rotary Cutting Revolution” -

by Anita Grossman Solomon.  C&T Publishing – © 2010

http://alefthandedquilter.blogspot.com/2010/10/feeling-better-today.html

http://alefthandedquilter.blogspot.com/2010/11/november-already.html

about the RULER –

Just her opinion – mind you – but -

When she first saw the special ruler and all the blogs touting its merits –

she remembered the block she made WITHOUT the ruler.

Here’s what she had left from the blocks she made –
and most of it was because she screwed up when she cut some of them.
(The bobbin is in there to give you a sense of scale.)


So here are five reasons she doesn’t want/need the ruler –
  1. It costs $$$.
  2. She can make a Twister block without it.
  3. She has more control over which color goes where.
  4. She has straight edges on her blocks – not bias ones.
  5. She has minimal waste – not Swiss-Cheese.

The whole thing may take her longer –

But she actually ENJOYS sewing –

So if it's not done in an afternoon. -

BOB is good with that.


But then again – it’s probably just me.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Aw man...I bought the ruler! (Lesson learned...and at least these rulers weren't as expensive as some others I've seen.)

Katie M. said...

I wrote a tutorial on how to make a twister using a regular 6½" square ruler - and damn it- it didn't get posted. I had a friend wanting to know how to do it, I looked at some pictures, read some instruction on how to use the ruler - done! And I have next to zero waste of fabric. Anyway...... just thought it was ironic that you have a post about that.

Post a Comment

Welcome to my blog - where bitching and whining are definitely allowed!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...